Find postgraduate teacher training privacy notice
Who we are
This work is being carried out by Department for Education (DfE) Digital, which is a part of DfE. For the purpose of data protection legislation, the DfE is the data controller for the personal data processed as part of Find postgraduate teacher training (‘Find’).
Why our use of your personal data is lawful
In order for our use of your personal data to be lawful, we need to meet one (or more) conditions in the data protection legislation. For the purpose of this service, this processing is necessary to complete a task in the public interest.
How we will use your information
We receive your personal data in the form of your IP address and any postcode which you use to search for courses on the service. We use it to track traffic to the service and continuously improve our service to better meet users’ needs.
If you use other digital services for which the data controller is also the DfE (for example, Apply for postgraduate teacher training, or a Get Into Teaching service), we may use your IP address to understand how you are using these services. This allows us to ensure that public funds are being spent effectively.
In some instances, we may also collect your email address for similar purposes.
What personal information we will store
The personal data that we collect is:
- your pseudonymised Internet Protocol (IP) address
- the postcode used to search for courses
How long we will keep your personal data
Neither DfE nor its contracted suppliers will keep your personal data longer than we need it for the purpose(s) of research, security and/or delivery of the service, and in any case not longer than 7 years. Your data will be securely deleted when DfE and its contracted suppliers no longer need it for these purposes, or when 7 years have passed, whichever comes first.
Your data protection rights
You have the right:
- to ask us for access to information about you that we hold
- to have your personal data rectified, if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- to request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing
- to restrict our processing of your personal data (i.e. permitting its storage but no further processing)
- to object to direct marketing (including profiling) and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics
- not to be subject to decisions based purely on automated processing where it produces a legal or similarly significant effect on you
You can find more information about how we handle personal data in our personal information charter.
Getting help and raising a concern
If you would like to exercise any of your rights, you can email us at becomingateacher
You can also use our contact form to get in touch with our Data Protection Officer.
If we cannot resolve your issue, you have the right to raise it with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) at https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/.
Keeping our privacy notice up to date
We’ll update this privacy notice when required. You should regularly review the notice.
This version was last updated on 14 November 2022.