City of Liverpool College Further education (Z493)

Postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) without qualified teacher status (QTS)

Financial support
Student finance if you’re eligible

A postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) is an academic qualification in education.

It’s recognised internationally, though you should always check what qualifications are needed in the country you’d like to teach in.

This course does not lead to qualified teacher status (QTS).

Course length
Up to 2 years
Date you can apply from
11 October 2022
Date course starts
September 2023


Course summary

If you want to teach young people or adults in setting such as sixth forms, further education colleges or community education then this course is ideal for you. The course helps you to develop your teaching skills, reflect on current ideas about education and training, and to creatively explore the professional opportunities open to you. You will gain competence in planning, teaching and learning, and in working with students.

The course can be taken as a one-year full-time or two-years part-time modular programme. It is assessed through written assignments, presentations, portfolios and practical assessment of teaching. The course is structured around modules which are based on different aspects of teachers’ work, such as designing learning materials, assessing students, and evaluating learning and teaching.

The four core modules that you will study are:

  • Research Informed Teaching, Learning and Assessment
  • Becoming a Subject Specialist Teacher
  • Being a Subject Specialist Teacher
  • Policy and Professional Issues

The course is validated by the University of Huddersfield and leads to a University of Huddersfield award.

Upon successful completion of this course, you’ll be eligible to proceed, following a process of professional formation, through the Society for Education and Training to gain Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status. This is the full professional status for teachers in the Lifelong Learning Sector.

Teaching placements

As well as studying at the College, you’ll learn the practical skills of teaching through a placement.

Usually, placements are undertaken at the the College and trainees have the opportunity to work across a range of levels and groups.

You’ll complete at least 100 hours of teaching practice on placement. Alongside this you will take part in wider activities to support your development as a teacher, for example open events, parents’ evenings, staff development.

Your placement will be undertaken in your subject specialism. In addition to your subject specialism, you may be required to embed core subjects including English, maths, Digital Literacies and SEND into your teaching and learning.

If you are currently working as a teacher or tutor in the sector and are interested in taking the course alongside your current role, we may be able to assess you in your workplace.

Entry requirements

Qualifications needed

An undergraduate degree, or equivalent.

You will usually require a minimum level 3 qualification (e.g. A-level, Access to HE Diploma, Advanced GNVQ, etc.) in the subject you are intending to teach.

We’ll consider candidates with pending GCSEs.

We’ll consider candidates who need to take a GCSE equivalency test in English or maths.

We will consider candidates with level 2 or equivalent qualifications in English and maths.

Personal qualities

You’ll be required to demonstrate your commitment to teaching in the Further Education/Lifelong Learning sector both in your application and during your interview.

We’re committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability and sexual orientation. We aim to ensure that course participants are representative of the diverse society in which we live.

Other requirements

In addition you must also:

  • undertake a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and health clearances
  • provide two satisfactory references
  • complete a satisfactory interview
  • have some relevant experience of teaching or training in the Further Education/Lifelong Learning sector

Fees and financial support

The course fees for UK students in 2023 to 2024 are £8,450.

You may be able to apply for a tuition fee loan or maintenance loan as part of your application to Student Finance.

You don’t have to pay the loan back while you study. It will only be repayable when you have left the course and earn over a specified amount.

The course involves spending two separate days at a conference at the University of Huddersfield. You will need to fund your own transport there.

Financial support from the training provider

The College offers a small number of Higher Education bursaries for eligible students.

Student eligibility criteria:

  • has a household income up to £25,000
  • (full-time students) Special Support Element of the Maintenance Loan; Parents’ Learning Allowance; Childcare Grant; Disabled Students’ Allowance;
  • (part-time students) is in receipt of the following grants/ welfare benefits: Disabled Students’ Allowance; Jobseeker’s Allowance; Income Support; Employment and Support Allowance; Carer’s Allowance;

Students who are care leavers will be eligible for a College Bursary regardless of household income if they meet the eligibility criteria:

  • UK Home student
  • Care Leaver –defined as in care for at least 13 weeks, spanning their 16th birthday.
  • Under 25 on the first day of the academic year they started the current course of study

A small income-assessed HE hardship fund is also available to offer support to students who are experiencing severe financial hardship.

For further information, you can contact:

About the training provider

The City of Liverpool College University Centre has a long tradition of providing Initial Teacher Education to those teaching, training and tutoring in the Lifelong Learning Sector. We offer a rewarding programme that will equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to pursue a career in teaching.

Our campus is based in the heart of Liverpool and offers world class facilities and centralised student finance and support services that provide students with a learning experience like no other. You will have access to dedicated tutors who bring with them a wealth of knowledge and experience.

The quality of our teaching is recognised nationally. In 2021, The City of Liverpool College University Centre scored 96% for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey.

We work in a strong and credible partnership with the University of Huddersfield to deliver our teacher training programmes.

Interview process

You will be shortlisted for interview based on your application.

You’ll normally be interviewed by specialist tutors from the programme. The interviews usually last up to one hour and will ask about areas such as: equality, diversity and inclusion in education; your subject specialism; your experience in teaching in the sector.

You may be required to complete a written task or presentation.

Adjustments can be made to the interview process to ensure equality of opportunity.

International candidates

You’ll need the right to study in the UK. You already have this if, for example, you:

  • are an Irish citizen
  • have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (you may still be able to apply)
  • have indefinite leave to remain in the UK

If you do not already have the right to study in the UK, you may need to apply for a visa. The main visa for fee-paying courses (those that you have to pay for) is the Student visa.

To apply for a Student visa, you’ll need to be sponsored by your training provider.

Sponsorship is not available for this course.

If you need a visa, filter your course search to find courses with visa sponsorship.

Alternatively, check if you’re eligible for a different type of visa, such as a Graduate or Family visa, that allows you to train to be a teacher without being sponsored.

Find out more about training to teach in England.

International qualifications

If your qualifications come from a non-UK institution, we may want to see a ‘statement of comparability’ from UK ENIC. This will show us how they compare to UK qualifications.

You can call Get Into Teaching on 0800 389 2500 for:

  • guidance on the UK equivalents of your qualifications
  • a free statement of comparability once you’ve submitted your application (if we ask you for this)

Training with disabilities and other needs

The College welcomes applicants with disabilities and is proactive both in anticipating needs, and in making reasonable adjustments to ensure that disabled students are welcomed and treated fairly.

You do not have to tell us about a disability, but we positively welcome disclosure at any point during your studies, as informing us will ensure that any necessary support from disability specialists or teaching staff can be put in place.

Students can access counselling and mental health support whilst studying with us.

We are also able to offer guidance for students who are applying for Disabled Students’ Allowance and financial support towards related costs.

For more information, contact:

Contact this training provider

0151 252 3000
Clarence Street
L3 5TP

Support and advice

You can speak to a teacher training adviser for free, dedicated advice. They are all experienced teachers who can give you one-to-one support with your application. They can also help you get school experience, and find events where you can speak to training providers and teachers.

Call Get Into Teaching free of charge on 0800 389 2500, or chat online Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm (except public holidays).

Is there something wrong with this page?

If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.