The Secondary PGCE programme concentrates on the teaching of 11 - 16 year olds, but part of it extends your studies/experience to cover preparation for post-16 teaching.
- Access to school experience in Key Stages 3, 4 and 5.
- Two equal teaching placements.
- Trained MFL mentors in schools that support you throughout the school placement.
- A trainee profile to document progress throughout the programme, including regular reviews with your mentor during school phases.
- An excellent university-based programme, with integrated school-based experience and placements.
- Supportive university method tutors with extensive experience of teaching in secondary schools.
- Access to a range of guest speakers within the method course.
- Excellent documentation to support your studies.
We welcome trainees from across the world and from the beginning work is centred on the practical skills and techniques necessary for successful language teaching.
We offer French, German and Spanish as both main and subsidiary languages. Some trainees work with all three languages, some with one language. Many sessions are generic with language specific workshops in the language you choose to work in for any given activity.
The programme seeks to identify the process of learning a second-language and critically reviews the various approaches, methods, techniques and materials used in the teaching of foreign languages within the context of secondary schools, curricula and examinations. Examples of methodology range from lively oral practice supported by interactive whiteboards, the use of new digital technology and games for beginners to the exploitation of topic-based and literary texts at sixth-form level.
In a friendly and co-operative environment, we aim to provide a stimulating, practical preparation for trainee teachers wishing to become effective and reflective practitioners. Practical work in small groups equips trainees to prepare their own teaching materials and to use a variety of teaching aids, including computers, the interactive whiteboard, tablets, video clips and reprographics.
We take applicants for the MFL Secondary PGCE programme who have studied one or any combination of French, German or Spanish for their first degree or have native or near native fluency in French, German or Spanish. We usually require the equivalent of at least 50% of a degree in MFL, which can include a year abroad. There are limited places for single linguists, who are encouraged to apply early.
Please see full information on our webpage (https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/pgce/secondary-pgce-modern-foreign-languages.aspx)