Our training course starts in late August through to July. It has been designed by teachers to reflect the needs of the modern classroom.
Our programme offers:
- After the interview day, we will meet with you to discuss your strengths and areas requiring further development and will set you tasks and a reading list to enable you to develop knowledge and skills before the course starts.
- Our interactive workshops cover all the primary curriculum subjects in detail. We also have workshops on:
- Child Development
- Planning and Assessment
- Behaviour Management and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- English as an Additional Language
- Teacher and the Law
- Voice Care
- School workload
All our sessions are based either at our training centre in Wickford or in neighbouring primary schools or via Zoom.
You will spend 75% of the course in school. Each week you will receive tutorials delivered by the Headteacher and your class mentor. These tutorials link to the workshops.
You will start undertaking structured observations of teachers followed by team teaching, part lesson then full lesson teaching.
During the course you will be continually assessed through:
- observation of your lessons
- assessment tasks
- reflections of your journey to become a teacher linking theory from workshops/reading to your practice in the classroom
There is a formal review of your progress at the end of each term, with the final assessment to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) taking place in the third term.
We make sure that any written submissions are evenly spread throughout the course. We issue a weekly newsletter to all trainees keeping them updated of deadlines. We operate an ‘open door’ policy to ensure trainees can discuss any issues or worries.
PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education – 60 Master credits)
In addition to QTS, trainees can study for a PGCE. All lectures are held at Bromfords School, Wickford or by Zoom.
Trainees need to pass 2 assignments of 5000 words each:
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- Professional Studies and Research
This award is validated by the University of Suffolk.
We are proud that our course has been rated by Ofsted as ‘Outstanding’ for 13 years. We believe we offer excellent value for money.