Our training course starts in late August through to July. It has been designed by teachers to reflect the needs of the modern classroom.
Our programme offers:
• After the interview day, we will meet with you to discuss your Individual Development Plan which identifies your strengths and areas requiring further development seen on the interview day. We will also set some tasks and a reading list to ensure you have every opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills to be ready to start the course.
• You will be invited to an Orientation Day to meet your peers and course staff
• Our interactive workshops cover all the primary curriculum subjects in detail.
We also have workshops covering:
• Child Development
• Planning and Assessment
• Behaviour Management and Special Educational Needs
• English as an Additional Language
• Teacher and the Law
• Voice Care
• School workload
• Opportunity to gain certificates in PE and Safeguarding recognised by the Teaching Profession
All our sessions are based either at our training centre in Wickford or in neighbouring primary schools. You will also visit a special school, pupil referral unit, hindu temple and an inner London school.
You will spend 75% of the course in school. Each week you will receive tutorials delivered by the Headteacher and your class mentor. These tutorials link to the workshops.
You will start undertaking structured observations of teachers followed by team teaching, part lesson then full lesson teaching.
During the course you will be continually assessed against the Teachers’ Standards in the following ways:
• Through observation of your lessons
• Through examination of your portfolio of evidence
• Through assessment tasks
• Through your reflections of your journey to become a teacher linking theory from workshops to your practice in the classroom
There is a formal review of your progress at the end of each term, with the final assessment to gain Qualified Teacher Status taking place in the third term.
We make sure that any written submissions are evenly spread throughout the course. We issue a weekly newsletter to all trainees keeping them updated of deadlines. We operate an ‘open door’ policy to ensure trainees can discuss any issues or worries.
Our course has been rated by Ofsted as ‘Outstanding’ for 12 years. We believe we offer excellent value for money.