Golborne Trinity Physics (J377)

Postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) with qualified teacher status (QTS)

Accredited body
Endeavour Learning SCITT
Financial support
Scholarships or bursaries, as well as student finance, are available if you’re eligible

A postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) with qualified teacher status (QTS) will allow you to teach in state schools in England and may allow you to teach in other parts of the UK.

It may also allow you to teach overseas, though you should always check what qualifications are needed in the country you’d like to teach in.

Many PGCE courses include credits that count toward a Master’s degree.

Age range
11 to 16 - secondary
Course length
1 year - full time
Date you can apply from
11 October 2022
Date course starts
September 2023


Course summary

The programme consists of school-centred training opportunities from the beginning of September through to the end of June.

Four days per week will be spent in school observing, planning and teaching. This will lead to solo teaching. One day per week will be spent in a teaching and learning conference day, which will usually be held at one of the Trinity partners’ centres.

The majority of the conferences will focus on planning for learning and teaching, and providing you with the knowledge, skills and understanding required for you to be a highly effective teacher.

Other conferences will have an academic focus where you will work with staff from Liverpool John Moores University to develop Masters Level 7 work.

School placements

Your two school placements will be tailored to your needs.

Additional opportunities will include beyond your two main schools may include:

  • A primary school for those specialising in Secondary education
  • A secondary for those specialising in Primary education
  • An opportunity to visit or be placed for a full placeement at an SEND school
  • A Sixth Form experience

As you progress through the programme, your timetable and teaching load will be bespoke to your needs, determined by your confidence and competence on the programme. There is an expectation that your teaching allocation will increase gradually across the course.

Entry requirements

Qualifications needed

An undergraduate degree, or equivalent. This should be an honours degree (Third or above), or equivalent.

Your degree subject should be in physics or a similar subject. Otherwise you’ll need to prove your subject knowledge in some other way.

Grade 4 (C) or above in English and maths, or equivalent qualification.

We’ll consider candidates with pending GCSEs.

We will not consider candidates who need to take a GCSE equivalency test.

Fees and financial support

The course fees for UK students in 2023 to 2024 are £9,250.

About the training provider

Trinity Teaching Alliance operates as a hub of Endeavour Learning. Endeavour Learning, which is rated as an Outstanding provider by Ofsted (2015-2016), is a group of North-West schools who are responsible for the design and delivery of a high quality School Centred Initial Teacher Training programme.

Trinity echoes the aims of the Endeavour Learning SCITT. We aim to prepare trainees to become the very best teachers they can become. We provide inspiring and high-quality training in a range of schools.

The Endeavour Learning SCITT programme leads to qualified teacher status (QTS) and the award of Postgraduate Certificate of Education through Liverpool John Moores University.

In addition, you will have access to:

· A dedicated Personal Tutor from the Alliance, a Professional Mentor and a Curriculum Mentor during your placements

· A range of opportunities and experiences in schools

· Extended placements in two schools

· Support with your growing subject knowledge development.

All applications are judged on merit and Trinity Teaching Alliance. For more information, please contact us: scaseyv@golbornehigh.wigan.sch.uk

International candidates

You’ll need the right to study in the UK. You already have this if, for example, you:

  • are an Irish citizen
  • have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (you may still be able to apply)
  • have indefinite leave to remain in the UK

If you do not already have the right to study in the UK, you may need to apply for a visa. The main visa for fee-paying courses (those that you have to pay for) is the Student visa.

To apply for a Student visa, you’ll need to be sponsored by your training provider.

Sponsorship is not available for this course.

If you need a visa, filter your course search to find courses with visa sponsorship.

Alternatively, check if you’re eligible for a different type of visa, such as a Graduate or Family visa, that allows you to train to be a teacher without being sponsored.

Find out more about training to teach in England.

International qualifications

If your qualifications come from a non-UK institution, we may want to see a ‘statement of comparability’ from UK ENIC. This will show us how they compare to UK qualifications.

You can call Get Into Teaching on 0800 389 2500 for:

  • guidance on the UK equivalents of your qualifications
  • a free statement of comparability once you’ve submitted your application (if we ask you for this)

Contact this training provider

01942 726842
Golborne High School, Lowton Road

Support and advice

You can speak to a teacher training adviser for free, dedicated advice. They are all experienced teachers who can give you one-to-one support with your application. They can also help you get school experience, and find events where you can speak to training providers and teachers.

Call Get Into Teaching free of charge on 0800 389 2500, or chat online Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm (except public holidays).

Is there something wrong with this page?

If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.