You will learn how to teach students a range of history from Medieval England through to the Cold War, exploring themes of genocide, civil war, migration, empire and the development of British politics. By giving pupils the opportunity to explore a range of sources and historical interpretations, you will enable them to form their own judgments about the key turning points in History and set them up for further study of history in future education.
The programme includes:
- In-house training days (1 day a week) - seminar and lecture style sessions and live practice that cover teaching theory, teaching techniques, pedagogy and academic literature (including ‘guest lectures’ from expert practitioners).
- In-school teaching (4 days a week) - you will be: planning for, preparing and delivering lessons; observing and supporting the lessons of other teachers; and taking part in the day to day running of the school.
Trainees complete the following stages of progression (including hours of teaching each week):
- Confident Teaching Assistant – 0-3 hours
- Competent Lesson Deliverer – 3-6 hours
- Considered Lesson Planner and Evaluator – 6-9 hours
- Independent Early Career Teacher – 9-12 hours (or more)
The rate at which you progress will be decided in consultation between the trainee, their mentors in school and the course leader.
You will be assessed in your progress in the following ways:
- Informal mentor drop-ins weekly
- Halfway progress check
- Formal observations by a member of SLT
- End of phase review meeting
- Review of the evidence in your digital evidence folder
Distinctive features of this course
- Careful progression in teaching load to support a sustainable start to your teaching career.
- Deliberate practice approach to teaching skills to rapidly develop teaching practice.
- Emphasis on building strong relationships with pupils and their families.
Experience of previous students
“I really like the real-world applicability of the training. The teacher techniques we learn, script and then practice are so helpful for embedding every day and essential routines within teaching”
“[I like the] real experience in a school and access to discussion with lots of expert teachers”
100% of trainees this year:
- describe the training as ‘Very good’ or ‘Excellent’
- would recommend the training to others