You will learn how to teach students about organisms from the very small to the very large and the ways in which they behave. By delving into the living processes of these organisms, students will learn how they reproduce, fight pathogens and respond to their environment. By exploring the ways that groups of organisms interact, students will come to understand how they interact with other living things, adapt and evolve over time.
The programme includes:
- In-house training days (1 day a week) - seminar and lecture style sessions and live practice that cover teaching theory, teaching techniques, pedagogy and academic literature (including ‘guest lectures’ from expert practitioners).
- In-school teaching (4 days a week) - you will be: planning for, preparing and delivering lessons; observing and supporting the lessons of other teachers; and taking part in the day to day running of the school.
Trainees complete the following stages of progression (including hours of teaching each week):
- Confident Teaching Assistant – 0-3 hours
- Competent Lesson Deliverer – 3-6 hours
- Considered Lesson Planner and Evaluator – 6-9 hours
- Independent Early Career Teacher – 9-12 hours (or more)
The rate at which you progress will be decided in consultation between the trainee, their mentors in school and the course leader.
You will be assessed in your progress in the following ways:
- Informal mentor drop-ins weekly
- Halfway progress check
- Formal observations by a member of SLT
- End of phase review meeting
- Review of the evidence in your digital evidence folder
You will receive additional taught sessions online facilitated by Bath Spa university and complete essays in order to obtain your PGCE qualification.
Distinctive features of this course
- Careful progression in teaching load to support a sustainable start to your teaching career.
- Deliberate practice approach to teaching skills to rapidly develop teaching practice.
- Emphasis on building strong relationships with pupils and their families.
Experience of previous students
“I really like the real-world applicability of the training. The teacher techniques we learn, script and then practice are so helpful for embedding every day and essential routines within teaching”
“[I like the] real experience in a school and access to discussion with lots of expert teachers”
100% of trainees this year:
- describe the training as ‘Very good’ or ‘Excellent’
- would recommend the training to others