The programme is designed to support trainees in developing a range of skills that are required to become a successful secondary school teacher.
- Become effective classroom practitioners; planning and delivering engaging and stimulating lessons
- Learn to recognise the similarities and differences in pupils, particularly in terms of their needs, their behaviour and attainment and how to plan for this in lessons
- Develop a critical understanding of the curriculum and pedagogy
- Develop an understanding of project based learning, as well as more traditional pedagogies
- Begin to understand the complex range of whole school issues, the values and assumptions that underpin them and their application to school and classroom practice.
The course will provide trainees with an awareness of the theoretical foundations of the subject, of strategies for teaching and learning in computer science and of current issues surrounding this subject in education.
Workshops will enable students to explore a range of practical processes. These will cover strategies to teach young people to develop skills in reasoning and problem solving, as well as computational thinking. Ultimately to enable young people to become creators of technology utilising coding, virtual reality and practical applications of computer science in real world situations, rather than consumers.
Regular tutorials enable trainees to receive individual support from tutors. Lecturers on the programme are experienced teachers of computer science or are employed as software developers in the field of virtual reality.
Successfully completing all aspects of the course, both in school and university based learning, will lead to the award of Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), which also carries 60 Masters level credits that may be used towards a subsequent Masters degree. The PGCE (M) component is an academic qualification awarded by the university. It is recognised abroad.
The course also leads to the award of QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). QTS is a professional qualification awarded by the Department for Education.
The key aim of this programme is to enable trainees to become confident, knowledgeable and enthusiastic teachers. The programme provides opportunities for trainees to explore the theory and practice of teaching the subject through a range of lectures, workshops and tutorials, and to develop their expertise in the classroom through two contrasting school