Our Physical Education programme aims to develop you to become a highly-reflective practitioner, passionate about working with children. The course offers a mixture of academic and practical learning.
Trainees with a grade C or equivalent at A-Level in the relevant EBacc subject can train in an additional EBacc subject alongside their main specialism of PE so that they are capable of teaching this in school. They must demonstrate the Teachers’ Standards in PE only, whilst receiving additional training in an EBacc subject (English, Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geography, History, MFL). Final permission to recruit will come from the DfE (as eligibility is dependent on the applicant).
You will take 3 core modules in order to develop your expertise:
- Subject Studies where you will learn how to teach your subject, including planning, teaching, assessment and classroom management.
- Professional Studies where you will learn about working in classrooms and schools and the broader context of teaching.
- Professional Practice which takes place in two contrasting schools where there will be opportunities for observation, practice and research.
Our accredited provider is The University of Warwick, a top ranked university in the Midlands, with Ofsted Outstanding rating for ITE in the Secondary phase.
You will spend the majority of this course learning on-the-job in schools.
Both at university and in school you will be taught and supported by highly experienced tutors, practitioners and mentors.
You will be assessed in 3 modules:
- Subject Studies which consists of a series of assessments focussing on both educational theory and issues associated with your specialist subject (1 x 1500 word formative essay, 1 x 4000 word essay and an academic poster).
- Reflective Practice which is a reflective case study on an area of educational practice in your placement school supported by a literature review (1 x 5000 word essay).
- Professional Practice to demonstrate that you meet the Teachers’ Standards.
If you are passionate about teaching, ambitious, reflective and with excellent communication skills and a desire to positively influence and transform young people’s lives, we look forward to receiving your application.
Successful applicants may be placed at any of our schools depending on phase and subject specialism.
For more information on our partner schools, see (https://www.highamlaneschool.co.uk/partnership).