PGCE with QTS full time with salary
- Accredited body
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- Financial support
PGCE with QTS
A postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) with qualified teacher status (QTS) will allow you to teach in state schools in England and may allow you to teach in other parts of the UK.
It may also allow you to teach overseas, though you should always check what qualifications are needed in the country you’d like to teach in.
Many PGCE courses include credits that count toward a Master’s degree.
- Course length
- 1 year
- Date you can apply from
- 13 October 2020
- Date course starts
- September 2021
About the course
School Direct is a one-year initial teacher training programme that leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and provides schools with the opportunity to deliver in-school teacher training. Within the School Direct route trainees get the opportunity to learn ‘on the job’, but shouldn’t be worried about being thrown in at the deep end. Inspire trainees are part of a team that supports each other and they receiving intensive guidance and mentoring from experienced teachers and leaders. As a family of schools, we work together to provide the best quality of support and experience as trainees learn the art of teaching and develop practice within the classroom.
Inspire Partnership are able to offer both the salaried and unsalaried training route of School Direct Programmes and our programmes are run in partnership with Goldsmiths University. Places for trainees are available at our schools in both Greenwich and Medway. All prospective candidates will need to go through an application and interview process with the Inspire Partnership. Once successful trainees are placed in one of our schools (working in an EYFS, KS1 or KS2 class) they will split their time working in school, training at university, participating in school-based professional development sessions, and visiting and sharing with other trainees across our partnership.
Working Alongside Goldsmiths
Enrolling into the Inspire Partnership Schools Direct programme will involve undertaking training with Goldsmiths, University of London, who deliver a comprehensive training programme designed to complement all training and guidance offered in schools. The university programme provides the theory, learning and practice required for the academic award of Professional Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE).
Whilst studying with Goldsmiths, trainees will be required to submit two written assignments at Masters level. Trainees will receive comprehensive training and guidance to support them with these academic submissions as well as dedicated practical support each day within their host schools. The Inspire Partnership is proud to continue to work with Goldsmiths University who are recognised as one of the UK’s top creative universities as voted for by students. http://www.gold.ac.uk/educational-studies/.
If you would like to apply for either the salaried or un salaried training route, please complete and submit an application expressing your interest through the UCAS website.
Once applications have been submitted through the UCAS system, they are forwarded to schools. Applicants that meet our entry criteria are shortlisted and invited to interview. Details of the interview will be communicated at this point. If you are successfully selected following interview we will recommend you to our training partner, Goldsmiths University of London, to make final confirmations before the offer of a place is made. Subsequently, we will contact you with further arrangements regarding your training.
How school placements work
Trainees will be placed in an EYFS, KS1 or KS2 class for the majority of their school placement. In addition to this, they will have the opportunity to be placed in a different school within the partnership, in the alternate key stage, for a shorter secondary placement. This allows trainees a broader experience as they are able to learn in two different settings across the year. Throughout the placements, the Inspire partnership will offer:
- Support from highly skilled teachers and leaders helping you to learn the art of teaching
- Opportunity to work alongside a mentor who is an experienced teacher
- Opportunity to engage in the latest theory and research which underpins out practice
- A comprehensive professional development programme to complement the training received through Goldsmiths as a trainee and beyond
- Practical experience in schools that is personalised to trainees’ individual strengths and needs
Negotiable - salaried trainees will be paid on the Unqualified Teachers Pay Scale.
Financial support isn’t available for this course because it comes with a salary.
If you choose a course without a salary, you may be eligible for financial support while you study, including bursaries, scholarships and loans.
We require applicants for our programmes to meet a number of requirements, if you have any questions regarding this and your applicability please get in touch. We require all candidates to:
- Have, as a minimum, a lower second-class degree
- Have three years’ experience in full time employment (in any field)
- Have (or plan to) have at least 10 days classroom experience
- Pass the QTS skills tests in Maths and English
- Have GCSEs (or equivalent) in maths, English and science
- Undergo health checks and undergo safeguarding checks
We are looking for candidates who:
- Express a desire for learning
- Are passionate
- Wish to make a difference to the lives of the children and families within the communities they teach
- Have high expectations and aspirations for all
- Demonstrate strong organisational skills
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have excellent attendance and punctuality
And who will be able to:
- Reflect on their practice and listen to feedback
- Work collaboratively
- Build and maintain good relationships with students, staff, parents and governors
- Inspire and motivate those they work with
- Be a positive role model for those around them
- Demonstrate professional behaviours
Apply for this course
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location – select the relevant location name on the application form.
Choose a training location - List of locations, vacancies and codes
Woodhill, London, SE18 5JE
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get Into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free of charge on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.