The school-based apprenticeship is also underpinned by a structured taught course which provides deep insight into the required subject knowledge and the appropriate pedagogy to inspire effective learning in children and young people and secure progress across the primary subjects. The Star Teachers apprenticeship programme begins with an intensive, centrally delivered two day induction to core aspects of the school curriculum which includes features of effective learning and teaching; how children learn and how teachers facilitate learning; behaviour management; pupil assessment; planning effective learning for all children, including those with special needs (SEND); English as an additional language (EAL); and planning differentiated learning that meets all young learners’ needs.
During the weekly centre-based time there will be a focus on developing the trainee group, sharing and disseminating practice together, collaboration and teamwork in learning, planning and teaching. You will undertake audits of your skills, experience and scientific knowledge in relation to the course requirements and the Teachers’ Standards. These will be used to build a personalised learning plan that you will update and maintain throughout your programme.
The weekly sessions focusses on:
• Pedagogy and progression
• Curriculum, assessment and progression
• Subject development
• Personal development, behaviour, and welfare, including anti-bullying and Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH)
• Behaviour for learning
• Literacy and numeracy across the curriculum
• Safeguarding, including the Prevent, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) duty
• Special educational needs and disabilities
• Character development, including Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC), PSHE and British Values
• Reflection and self-development
Throughout the first and second term, the programme will provide the underpinning for training foci and activities in the timetabled opportunities provided in school. The programme will also include additional inputs from Manchester Metropolitan University to support trainees who have elected to work towards a Postgraduate Certificate award in Education.