School Direct is a school-led teacher training course that gives you, high-quality graduates, a one year school based programme, run in conjunction with The University of Warwick, which allows you to be a part of the teaching team within a school from day one.
All our placement schools are in and around the Derby and Derbyshire areas. The training days take place locally at Harrington Nursery School or St Giles School, Derby and University of Warwick Teaching Fellows come to us. There will be days when you will visit the University of Warwick for additional input into the course throughout the year.
School Direct routes enable you to work within a school and train in the classroom, supported by qualified teachers and mentors. It is expected (not guaranteed) that you will continue to be employed by the school after you gain your teaching qualification.
Training with us you will:
- Train in a range of great schools for the whole training year
- Be trained by inspirational teachers
- Get hands on experience of what works in the classroom, so you can become confident, successful and happy NQT’s
- Work in partner schools and settings, teaching in Derby’s wonderfully diverse communities
- Be supported into employment, application forms, personal statements, interview practice and vacancy matching
- Get great support from tutors and mentors on hand and help your confidence grow
Our innovative and integrated programme is at the cutting edge of teacher training. Designed in collaboration with the University and St Giles School, co-delivered and guaranteeing access to outstanding expertise in a variety of areas. All areas taught are those to better equip you for teaching, with a focus on both EYFS and KS1; primary subjects, plus local need for example English as an Additional Language, PE, Behaviour Management, SEND.
You will spend most of your school year in one host school, gradually increasing the amount of time spent in the role of a teacher, working closely with an experienced and skilled mentor. You will spend time in another school with a different age group to gain further experience.
Your training with the University will take place every other week.
There are no formal examinations, just 2 assessments papers which you will be fully supported to write and due one per term.