Placement schools are selected from across our partnerships which covers a wide geographical area: Bristol, Bath, and across Wiltshire - from our base in Corsham, moving north to Malmesbury, across to Swindon and Marlborough, south to Warminster and Salisbury and into Dorset. This means that we are able to ensure that trainees do not have unreasonable distances to travel to their placement school from their home.
You will have 2 contrasting placement schools during your training year (within Key Stage 1 & Key Stage 2.):
- Host placement school from September - December and then again from Easter – June.
- You will attend your Complementary placement school from January – Easter.
We have over 45 primary partnership schools working with us. When placing our trainees, we look at schools’ context, location and their capacity to support our trainees.
In addition to the two main placements, we aim to offer trainees the experience of short secondary and specialist school placements to provide an understanding of alternative phase and alternative provision schools (Covid restrictions permitting).
Teaching Timetable and Hours Worked:
- The programme starts at the beginning of the school year
- Trainees will initially observe in class, working alongside the class teacher before they begin team-teaching and small group teaching. Eventually, trainees will take on responsibility for entire classes, lesson planning and lesson sequencing.
- Trainees can expect to begin by following a 40% teaching timetable, gradually increasing to 70%-80% by the end of the year.
- Please expect to work full days during your course. It is also highly likely that you will be working outside of normal working hours at home. Central training days to run from 09.30am-4.00pm, subject to variation.
In the event of Covid-19 restrictions continuing to have an impact on schools, we will monitor, revaluate and amend our programme where necessary in response to guidance from the Government, Public Health England, DfE and NASBTT. This may include the structure of placements if necessary, or removal of alternative placements if not feasible.
You can select one of the following locations when you apply.
List of locations and vacancies
Excalibur Academies Trust
(St John’s Marlborough), Granham Hill, Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8 4AX
Pound Pill, Corsham, SN13 9YW