This is a year-long school-based training programme that will lead to both a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). It embodies a collaborative approach, enabling you to connect with experienced school-based professionals, whilst also receiving guidance from The Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) education faculty and staff. The training will be delivered jointly by MMU and by expert teachers from alliance schools.
This School Direct programme is a full-time, primary, unsalaried programme running from September to June.
You will be trained in a highly supportive and aspirational environment and will develop the rigour, professional knowledge, understanding and skills necessary for the delivery of creative, purposeful and challenging teaching and learning. In order to achieve this, you will experience:
• A main placement in a designated school
• A contrasting placement, from within the wider alliance
• A special education needs (SEN) placement, from within the wider alliance
• Classroom observations
• Working with individuals/small groups/and whole classes to teach lessons
• Assessment of pupil attainment and progress
• Lectures and online learning with an iPad on loan for 12 months
• Planning and delivery of blocked training sessions
• Professional development training sessions
• Mentor sessions/support
• The wider school community
• Extra-curricular activities
Gatley Teaching School and its alliance partners have a wealth of strengths to offer you. As well as each school having its own distinctive strengths, the alliance draws upon Specialist Leaders in Education to enhance your training experiences. These unique school-based learning opportunities build upon the relationships between the alliance partners, the University and you.
The Alliance’s commitment to you:
• A nominated, experienced, school-based mentor
• Regular school-based mentor meetings that support, feedback and challenge your professional development
• Experience across the primary age range (5-11 years old)
• Experience in delivering school-based training sessions covering core and foundation subjects. These include English, maths, science, IT, history, geography, music, art, PE, foreign languages and design technology.
• Enhanced educational theory sessions and practical advice on succeeding in the classroom. These include behaviour management, mental health and wellbeing, assessment for learning and metacognition.
• Opportunities for you to tailor and influence your own professional development