The Teach Cheshire partnership led by The Fallibroome Academy, All Hallows Catholic College and Poynton High School. It has a hub centred around Macclesfield and Poynton, mainly in 11-18 schools, and a second hub in Winsford. We have high academic standards and are passionate about enabling our students to be creative, resilient and independent learners.
Our team of experienced and enthusiastic mentors will help you become a confident teacher so that you can make a difference to the lives of young people. Through our partnership with our university colleagues, we aim to create a varied development programme that helps you learn about effective teaching and learning, behaviour and assessment strategies.
During the course, you can expect:
- Weekly meetings with a well-qualified specialist subject mentor to help with lesson planning and delivery
- Fortnightly meetings with a professional mentor to ensure you develop a wider awareness of the role of the teacher, for example by supporting a form or engaging in extra-curricular activities
- A study of current, challenging educational issues
- A thorough programme of ongoing professional development and careers advice
- Opportunities for reflective practice and research.
Most of the year is spent on placement in your home school with a 6-7 week placement in a different school in the Spring.
Whilst on placement your school will offer a full programme of CPD tailored to your needs. In addition, there are a number of joint development days, each held in a different Teach Cheshire school giving you the chance to meet all the trainees on the programme and experience a number of different contexts.
You have about 35 university study days which tend to blocked in September and January, along with most Fridays through the year. University tutorials are held at the Riverside Campus in Chester or at Wade Deacon High School in Widnes.
You are assessed against the Teacher Standards through regular lesson observations and the development of a portfolio of evidence. You submit a written assignment to the university each term, reflecting on teaching and learning pedagogy and its application in the classroom.