This is a one year postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) with qualified teacher status (QTS), preparing you to teach the 11-16 age range.
The course has two main themes:
- Initial Professional Development
We help develop your own thinking, teaching skills and subject curriculum knowledge with themes including:
- how young people learn
- behaviour management
- creative and innovative teaching methods
- designing learning
- current professional issues in secondary schools
- researching educational theories
- developing your own educational philosophy
- Geography Specialist Subject Pedagogy
We will develop your teaching and understanding of:
- the Geography curriculum
- progression in Geography
- planning and curriculum development in Geography
- examination requirements and inclusion issues in Geography
You will spend about two thirds of your time in school and one third in university.
In school you will benefit from:
- observing experienced teachers in your own and different subjects
- practical hands-on experience with a range of ages and abilities
- supportive mentoring
- experience of being a form tutor, wider school activities and life outside the classroom!
- access to any in-school training and development programmes
Teaching is through a blend of workshops, tutorials, lectures (some with guest speakers) and group work with fellow trainee teachers, all of which takes place in friendly and supportive groups designed to give you the confidence to succeed.
During the PGCE you will study two Masters level modules (60 credits) and have the opportunity to continue your studies during your NQT year to complete the Masters degree.
At WYTA we like to add further value to your course and your teaching experience. In addition to your time in school and university we also provide our own training sessions, spread throughout the year. This is provided by classroom teachers and leaders who are specialists in their areas of expertise.
Our sessions offer you an opportunity to take time out, to reflect on your learning so far and to identify what you would still like support with. We keep our programme flexible in order that we can best meet your ongoing needs throughout the year.
At all stages you will be supported by mentors from WYTA, school and university, ensuring you are fully supported to help you develop into an outstanding and successful teacher.